[mou] More Hawk Owls (five total), possible Pine Grosbeak

Doug Johnson dougjohn@lsnmlaw.org
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:17:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C697B2.0CD498B0

I birded northern Beltrami County including the amazing mile long boardwalk
into the middle of the Red Lake Peatlands 7 miles north of 'Waskish in the
Big Bog Recreation area (state park sticker required).  There were three
Northern Hawk Owls present, and I believe one was a juvenile begging for
food.  The birds were perching in the large dead Tamaracks along the edges
of the large opening 3/4 of the way out the boardwalk.  At least one I
believe was an adult and the other I am not sure of.  This is easily the
best birding location in summer for this region of Minnesota. Also present
were several Olive-sided Flycatchers, Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, a single
Dark-eyed Junco and many singing warblers.  Also, I wanted to report that
Pat Rice told me that she had a female Pine Grosbeak on the same boardwalk
earlier last week.  She did not realize how rare this was for summer as it
is the first recent summer record for Beltrami County that I am aware of.
The bugs are quite fierce early in the a.m. on the boardwalk with the recent
rain yesterday, unlike a week ago.

 I also birded the Rapid River Rd. in southern Lake of the Woods County and
had two more Hawk Owls this morning on Cty Rd. 77 about a mile west of St.
Hi. 72.  Also, seen were Green Heron, Black-billed Cuckoo, but noted a
surprising lack of swallows, particularly Tree and Cliff Swallows where
there should have been hundreds.  The northwestern area of Beltrami County
east of Agassiz NWR is extremely dry and Bobolinks, Sandhill Cranes, and
grassland sparrows all seem to be in low numbers relative to when I did
surveys in the area 10 to 15 years ago.

Douglas P. Johnson
Bemidji, MN

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C697B2.0CD498B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D109400022-24062006><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I =
birded northern=20
Beltrami County including the amazing mile long boardwalk into the =
middle of the=20
Red Lake Peatlands 7 miles north of 'Waskish in the Big Bog Recreation =
area=20
(state park sticker required).&nbsp; There were three Northern Hawk Owls =

present, and I believe one was a juvenile begging for food.&nbsp; The =
birds were=20
perching in the large dead Tamaracks along the edges of the large =
opening 3/4 of=20
the way out the boardwalk.&nbsp; At least one I believe&nbsp;was an =
adult and=20
the other I am not sure of.&nbsp; This is easily the best birding =
location in=20
summer for this region of Minnesota. Also present were several =
Olive-sided=20
Flycatchers, Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, a single Dark-eyed Junco and =
many=20
singing warblers.&nbsp; Also, I wanted to report that Pat Rice told me =
that she=20
had a female Pine Grosbeak on the same&nbsp;boardwalk earlier last =
week.&nbsp;=20
She did not realize how rare this was for summer as it is the first =
recent=20
summer record for Beltrami County that I am aware of.&nbsp;&nbsp;The =
bugs are=20
quite fierce early in the a.m.&nbsp;on the boardwalk with the recent =
rain=20
yesterday, unlike a week ago.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D109400022-24062006><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D109400022-24062006><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;I also birded=20
the Rapid River Rd. in southern Lake of the Woods County and had two =
more Hawk=20
Owls this morning on Cty Rd. 77 about a mile west of St. Hi. 72.&nbsp; =
Also,=20
seen were Green Heron, Black-billed Cuckoo, but noted a surprising lack =
of=20
swallows, particularly Tree and Cliff Swallows where there should have =
been=20
hundreds.&nbsp; The northwestern area of Beltrami County east of Agassiz =
NWR is=20
extremely dry and Bobolinks, Sandhill Cranes, and grassland sparrows all =
seem to=20
be in low numbers relative to when I did surveys in the area 10 to 15 =
years=20
ago.&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D109400022-24062006><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Douglas P. =
Johnson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D109400022-24062006>Bemidji,=20
MN </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C697B2.0CD498B0--