[mou] Oberg Loop: Black-throated blue warblers

chetmeyers@visi.com chetmeyers@visi.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:58:41 -0500

Chet Meyers writes:
Just returned from five idyllic days on the north shore of Lake Superior in Cook
County.  Miriam and I hiked the Oberg Loop just off the Superior Hiking Trail a
few miles from Lutsen resort.  Last year we found five male black-throated blue
warblers singing on territory and this year found six.  To get to the Oberg Loop
take highway 61 along the north shore and between mile markers 87 and 88 turn
north on Onion River Road, also highway 336.  Follow it until it ends, park in
the parking lot, and walk to the trail head. Follow signs to the Oberg Loop
which is considered a trunk loop of the Superior Hiking Trail. The entire hike
up and back took us an hour and fifty minutes, however, we found one singing
male less than a quarter mile in.  But don't expect the birds to sound like
those on the Stokes bird tape.  Indeed, they sound like a cross between
black-throated blues and black-throated greens.  Only one bird we found sounded
like the normal black-throated blue song (whatever that is).
Chet Meyers