[mou] Favorite Birding Location

Julian Sellers JulianSellers@msn.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:44:43 -0500

Favorite birding location?

In Minnesota:  The prairies of western and northwestern Minnesota.  Wide
open spaces, silence (except for wind and bird sounds), and cool northern
prairie birds.

In the U.S.:  Kissimmee Prairie and Corkscrew Swamp in my home state of
Florida.  (Yeah, I like prairies-and cypress swamps.)  The Kissimmee Prairie
(see http://www.audubonofflorida.org/conservation/kp.htm and
http://www.floridastateparks.org/kissimmeeprairie/) is about as far from
"civilization" in Florida as you can get.  Wide open spaces, etc., and cool
southern prairie birds.  Corkscrew
(http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/corkscrew/) has a 2.25-mile
boardwalk through part of "the largest remaining virgin bald cypress forest
in North America."  Cool swamp wildlife, and exceedingly beautiful.

In the world:  Coastal North Friesland in the German state of
Schleswig-Holstein, on the North Sea, near the Danish border.  It's low,
wet, windswept, and sparsely populated.  The coastline is diked, with wet
pastures and some crops inside the dikes.  Outside the dikes the water
recedes at low tide to expose 500 square miles of mud flats.  A series of
low off-shore islands, called Halligen (singular die Hallig), were separated
from the mainland by a huge storm in the year 1362, and further eroded by
storms through the centuries.  At low tide the mudflats reconnect the
islands to each other and the mainland.  Several impoundments of fresh-
and/or saltwater create great habitat for waterfowl and shorebirds.
Millions of birds that nest from Greenland to Siberia funnel through here
during the spring and fall migrations, and many species nest here as well.
The main town in the area is Husum, known to Germans as the home of
19th-century author and poet Theodor Storm.  Storm's best-known work, Der
Schimmelreiter, tells the saga of the Dike Master who gave his life in a
huge storm, and who is seen galloping his white horse (a Schimmel) on the
dikes whenever a dangerous storm is brewing (wooo).  The traditional
architecture is low-slung brick with thatched roof built on a raised mound.
In farm houses, one end is the living quarters, the rest is the barn.  The
seafood is delicious, the beer is a thing of beauty.  The Germans know the
special charm of this place, but you won't see any Americans.  (How many
tours have you seen that go north of the Rhein?)  If I get my act together,
I will organize a birding trip there, perhaps in May, 2008.

Julian

St. Paul