[mou] Bald Eagles Roseville/Falcon Heights

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:41:01 -0500

The Hwy 36 (Keller Lake) pr. have been very loyally and regularly =
sitting at their nest every morning for the past few weeks. My guess is =
that you are seeing different birds.=20

Time to look for a new nest in that area.

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106
St. Paul, MN 55125
651-739-9332
651-731-1330 (FAX)

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Donnelle Burlingame
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:33 AM
To: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: [mou] Bald Eagles Roseville/Falcon Heights

To my surprise I observed a pair of Bald eagles male and female,  I =
presume=20
due to size difference, perched in a tree behind fast food row =
,specifically=20
Burger King,  1 block west of Snelling Ave. and Cty Rd B across from Har =
Mar=20
Mall in Roseville!  One flew over my car tree top level and lead me to =
the=20
tree where I observed the second. They vocalized  quite a bit and =
preened.=20
They seemed quite content unlike the crows which were of course mobbing =
and=20
growing in numbers as time went on.COuld this be the pair that nested in =
the=20
highly visable nest off of Hwy. 36 and Hwy 61?
In the early am's, I quite frequently observe a single adult eagle fly =
from=20
the same direction South West to North East directly over the Job Corp=20
parking lot where I work on Snelling Ave. directly across from the state =

Fair Grounds a stones through from the St. Paul Campus. I assume same=20
bird/s.
Driving into work this am heading east on 694 crossing over the =
Mississippi=20
I saw an immature eagle on the ice tearing into something I assume a =
fish.
Like most of us, I have observed an increase of inner city and urban =
Eagle=20
activity over the past couple years that I have lived in North =
Minneapolis=20
including the very block I live on. Its always a pleasure and puts a =
smile=20
on my face and in my heart. I do question, is their population saturated =
in=20
the twin city area? It is well known all forms of wildlife are =
increasingly=20
co- habitating with us. What does that mean for such a large bird with =
the=20
needs of a large territory? They don't seem to be bothered by all our =
human=20
activity.