[mou] Bald Eagles Roseville/Falcon Heights

Donnelle Burlingame donnelleburlingame@hotmail.com
Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:32:43 -0600

To my surprise I observed a pair of Bald eagles male and female,  I presume
due to size difference, perched in a tree behind fast food row ,specifically
Burger King,  1 block west of Snelling Ave. and Cty Rd B across from Har Mar
Mall in Roseville!  One flew over my car tree top level and lead me to the
tree where I observed the second. They vocalized  quite a bit and preened.
They seemed quite content unlike the crows which were of course mobbing and
growing in numbers as time went on.COuld this be the pair that nested in the
highly visable nest off of Hwy. 36 and Hwy 61?
In the early am's, I quite frequently observe a single adult eagle fly from
the same direction South West to North East directly over the Job Corp
parking lot where I work on Snelling Ave. directly across from the state
Fair Grounds a stones through from the St. Paul Campus. I assume same
bird/s.
Driving into work this am heading east on 694 crossing over the Mississippi
I saw an immature eagle on the ice tearing into something I assume a fish.
Like most of us, I have observed an increase of inner city and urban Eagle
activity over the past couple years that I have lived in North Minneapolis
including the very block I live on. Its always a pleasure and puts a smile
on my face and in my heart. I do question, is their population saturated in
the twin city area? It is well known all forms of wildlife are increasingly
co- habitating with us. What does that mean for such a large bird with the
needs of a large territory? They don't seem to be bothered by all our human
activity.