[mou] Carolina Wren, Houston County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:51:33 +0000

Awesome early Spring day today (Saturday), topped off by a Carolina Wren in
Reno, MN.

>From Hwy 26, take Hillside Road in Reno.  On your left, look for fire marker
# 16878.  There are feeders on the north side of this residence which were
hopping.  I never saw the wren come to the feeder, but I presume it does.
It hung out in a brush pile near the feeders, and foraged at the base of a
tree nearby.  Also in the yard and at the feeders were:

Tufted Titmouse (at least two)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (one)
Purple Finch (numerous)

I did not speak to the homeowner, but the feeders and awesome backyard
habitat were easily visible from the road.  This location is probably only
about a mile from where Fred Lesher posted Carolina Wren observations last
summer/fall.

Also in Houston County today:

Eastern Bluebird (several flocks)
Red-winged Blackbird (several around Brownsville)
Green-winged Teal (Wildcat Landing south of Brownsville)
Wood Duck (Wildcat Landing)
Song Sparrow (Wildcat Landing)
Winter Wren (Beaver Creek S.P.) - 1st stream crossing (not including
swinging bridge)

I did not see any snipe or Killdeer at Wildcat Landing, nor any Golden
Eagles along CR 10.

Winona County additions:

Peregrine Falcon (Queen's Bluff) - I drive this every day for my commute,
and today was the first day there has been a falcon here since last fall.
Mile Marker 13 along Hwy 61.
Redhead (Lake Winona) - an impressive 15 birds.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN