[mou] Posting Bird Sitings on a Google Map

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:29:47 -0600 (CST)

Hello all,

I think this is a good idea.  I would really like to see something like
this added to the MOU online seasonal reporting maps, if it's feasible.  I
realize this would be quite an endeavor, but I think it would be
worthwhile.  Exact dates and locations provide good information for people
wishing to see a particular bird, or to know what's been seen in a
particular area.  Also, the scientific value of accurate mapping is
important, not only in keeping accurate records, but in determining bird
distribution patterns within a county or state.  Something to consider is
the type of map that could be used to plot the data (if this is possible).
 I'm currently compiling North Dakota tiger beetle records and plotting
them on a county outline map overlayed on a physical geographic map of
North Dakota that I generated in Adobe Photoshop.  It's useful to visually
depict where collection records come from in terms of an area's geography.
 Distributional patterns that are not immediately evident from reading
LATLON coordinates or township-range data become clear when they are
precisely plotted on a map.

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay