[mou] Waterfowl ID help

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:29:12 -0600

Hello all,

I was a Black Dog Lake in Dakota County this morning.  I didn't see
anything noteworthy, except for a single Horned Grebe in its transition
molt.  However, I saw two birds that I could not approach, due to the
deep snow, in order to ID with my binoculars (I need a spotting scope
soon).  I took a long digital photo and enlarged it on on computer.  I
still am not sure what I am looking at.

They are smaller than Mallards, have yellowish bills with apparent
markings, and appear to have dark heads with whitish faces and throats.
  They were the only two odd birds I saw and I don't think Black Dog
Lake would be a place to see some weird farm hybrid ducks.  They were
swimming with a group of Canada Geese, Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, and
a few American Coots.

Anyway, I've driven myself mad trying to ID them and any help or ideas
would be appreciated.  At the moment I am leaning towards calling them
some sort of hybrid.

Thanks,

Derek Bakken
St. Paul, MN