[mou] Sandhills are back

Holly Peirson hpeirson@pclink.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:27:30 -0600

As I was having lunch in my 4-season porch today, I heard the distinctive
call of the Sandhill Crane overhead!!! They're back! That's one of my
favorite spring sounds....
On a birding outing with friends yesterday, we saw 32 species in Dakota Co,
on several stops. We had some very nice views of a Northern Shrike along the
paved walking trail just north of Lock and Dam #2 near Hastings. Large
numbers of Horned Larks, and a few small and one large flock of Robins,
eight species of duck, and 1 great blue heron. Also at the Lock & Dam were a
few Ea. Bluebirds. It was especially nice to be birding just as spring came
in!
Holly Peirson
Forest Lake area, Anoka Co.