[mou] House Sparrows

Matt Baumann baumann_matt@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:32:38 -0600

As a person trying to aid bluebirds in my backyard, I was lucky enough to
get a pair of bluebirds to nest in my backyard last year. This year a pair
of bluebirds has been trying to establish themselves in one of two nest
boxes: a Peterson style (where they nested 2005) and a Gilbertson (this
years addition). Unfortunately, a single male house sparrow has been
aggressively defending both nest boxes and I fear may be gaining the upper
hand. And also unfortunately air guns are probably banned within the city
limits (But a Gilbertson Universal trap is on order !).

Being observant, I have noticed that there several factors aiding house
sparrow populations to thrive in my neighborhood and probably yours:

1) People feeding primarily millet seed in their bird feeders.

2) People with neglected purple martin houses and those cutsey bird houses
(often pink and color and with a perch!).

My point is that the good intentions of those trying to aid native cavity
nesters are often usurped by the albeit good, but probably ignorant
intentions of others. And herein lies a tough problem for us to resolve.

Matt Baumann
Winona, MN