[mou] Nesting Ospreys at Black Dog Lake

drewbec@aol.com drewbec@aol.com
Fri, 05 May 2006 10:28:33 -0400

Last evening I saw an Osprey on the west lake near the power plant, and
pulled my vehicle over to observe the bird. It flew back towards the
lake and I saw that it had a bright orange fish in its talons, then
suddenly I noticed a second Osprey in the air approaching the first
bird. Together they flew to the top of one of the electrical towers in
the middle of the lake, where a large pile of sticks was being
assembled, apparently a new nest! They playfully sparred, went through
the motions of "foreplay", exchanged the fish, and the female flew back
close to the road for a meal.

Checking the pamphlet of County Nesting records that was mailed to MOU
members a few years ago, there are no previous nesting records for
Osprey in Dakota County. This is an easily visible nest, and it will be
interesting to follow in the days and weeks ahead. If you're in the
area, check it out. Enjoy!

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County