[mou] FW: [PABIRDS] Tree Swallow nest box kill question

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Fri, 5 May 2006 10:18:36 -0500

An article I found interesting and topical for MN as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bird discussion list for Pennsylvania
[mailto:PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG] On Behalf Of Herbert Flavell
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:15 AM
To: PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG
Subject: Re: [PABIRDS] Tree Swallow nest box kill question

Hi  check the inside of those nest boxes for mold. Mold is toxic to
humans=20
and very much more toxic to birds. That was one reason I started making
my=20
birdhouses from 6 inch plastic pipe. When we first moved here 18 years
ago=20
all my bh were made from rough cut wood. With the weather conditions
here at=20
1500 ft they lasted less than 3 years and started to mold and rot. These

pipe nestboxes have been up about 15 years and cleaned each spring
finding=20
only 1 dead mouse in 15 years. Not even a dead baby bird. Now the wood=20
Woodduck nest is another story. Cleaning this year we found 6 unhatched=20
eggs. So maybe that wood nest has outlived its use. It maybe time for a=20
plastic Woodduck nest made from a 5 gallon birdseed bucket. My next
project=20
for next spring is nest boxes made from Folgers plastic coffee cans. You
can=20
all do this to. Just cut a circle of wood  5 3/4 inches in diameter.
Drill a=20
1 1/2 inch entry hole in the center. Then fasten the wood end to the
coffee=20
can at both sides and top. To clean in spring just remove the top screw
and=20
tilt the wood end in. These nests can either be fastened to a tree or a
10=20
foot pressure treated 2 by 4 stuck in the ground or fastened to a
building=20
or fence post just run a screw and washer out the back to fasten it. I
also=20
drill 3 or 4 drainage holes in the bottom at the rear of the nest. But=20
because the wood end does not meet the sides tight, any water that
enters=20
should run out. Just think now instead of adding those cans to the
landfill=20
you can make some birds happy. The Purple Martin nest pictured at Kodak
was=20
made from 32 metal coffee cans. 16 on each side but metal rusts after a
few=20
years so I may replace them with plastic to. That nest never drew any
Purple=20
Martins but the Tree Swallows loved it. The Kestrels loved it to for
hunting=20
grass hoppers and mice. They would sit on the roof and pounce on prey.
Oh if=20
you use a pole to make your birdhouses, take 2 pieces of aluminum
flashing=20
(6in) and nail it around the pole. Creating 12 inches of metal to keep=20
Racoons,cats and other climbing animals from raiding the nests.

                                                            Herb Flavell
                                                           Susquehanna=20
county
www.angelfire.com/pa/bonniedellfarm=20