[mou] Red-Headed Woodpecker - St. Paul, MN

Cathy Gagliardi patcatgags@comcast.net
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:12:21 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C67348.ADB297C0

Looked out at my feeders this morning and what a great surprise to see a =
Red-HEADED Woodpecker.
 We've had them at our cabin in NW WI before but I would never have =
thought one would be here in a busy, residential neighborhood.
  It was eating black oilers at a tube feeder that has a tray attached =
but I haven't seen it on our log-feeders yet, with hopes it finds the =
suet.
 In question that this bird could be a Red-bellied, I get quite a few of =
them also but this was clearly a Red-headed with solid black & white =
wings and an ALL red head. I was able to get a couple pics also.

  I read in Stan Tekiela's book that they nest later than other Woody's =
- does anyone know "when"?
  Also, are the Red-Headed's still on the decline?

   Cathy Gagliardi
    St. Paul, MN (Highland Park)

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C67348.ADB297C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Looked out at my feeders this morning and what a great surprise to =
see a=20
Red-HEADED Woodpecker.<BR>&nbsp;We've had them at our cabin in NW WI =
before but=20
I would never have thought one would be here in a busy, residential=20
neighborhood.<BR>&nbsp; It was eating black oilers at a tube feeder that =
has a=20
tray attached but I haven't seen it on our log-feeders yet, with hopes =
it finds=20
the suet.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;In question that this bird could be a Red-bellied, I get =
quite a few=20
of them&nbsp;also but this was clearly a Red-headed with solid black =
&amp; white=20
wings and an ALL red head. I was able to get a couple pics also.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp; I read in Stan Tekiela's book that they nest later than =
other=20
Woody's - does anyone know "when"?<BR>&nbsp; Also, are the Red-Headed's =
still on=20
the decline?</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Cathy Gagliardi<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; St. Paul, MN =

(Highland Park)<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C67348.ADB297C0--