[mou] 2 thumbs up

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Wed, 10 May 2006 18:15:53 -0500

--------------080602020104050409060807

Two big thumbs up and a hearty thank you for Larry turning me onto Snail
Lake Park.  I rode my bike over there from Spring Lake Park and birded
the entire trail around the lake.  It was 12-4 so the birds were tough
to see on the east side but I honed in on mobbing crows who were
screaming out "OWL" (use your imagination instead of "Caw").  I walked
up just in time to see a huge bird taking off and being pursued by the
crows so I figured it had to be an owl if I spooked it by sound amidst
the crow's yammering.  So I went into stealth mode and was gifted with
seeing the biggest Great Horned Owl I have ever imagined!  Wow!

In the park area the birding was excellent.  I saw my first definitive
Northern Waterthrush (I mean I could ID it instead of seeing it and not
knowing what it was).  I feasted on Yellow Warbler, Oven Birds, Hermit
Thrush, Swainson Thrushs, Common Yellow Throat, Pine Warbler, Catbird,
Swamp Sparrow, and many more regulars - all in a beautiful park setting
with picnic tables and bathrooms.  The best birding was from the grassy
areas looking at the trees and habitats from a nice distance.  These 10x
Pentax were worth every penny.

As I completed my circumnavigation of the lake and bordered HW 96 on the
north side of the lake, the birding continued to be great with B.
Orioles and Yellow Warblers and others plus an exciting show put on by a
Great White Egret as it pummeled a large bullhead into defenseless
submission, rinsed it gingerly and mindfully scarfed it down.
Delightful Coup de Gras.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park

--------------080602020104050409060807

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Two big thumbs up and a hearty thank you for Larry turning me onto
Snail Lake Park.&nbsp; I rode my bike over there from Spring Lake Park and
birded the entire trail around the lake.&nbsp; It was 12-4 so the birds were
tough to see on the east side but I honed in on mobbing crows who were
screaming out "OWL" (use your imagination instead of "Caw").&nbsp; I walked
up just in time to see a huge bird taking off and being pursued by the
crows so I figured it had to be an owl if I spooked it by sound amidst
the crow's yammering.&nbsp; So I went into stealth mode and was gifted with
In the park area the birding was excellent.&nbsp; I saw my first definitive <b>Northern
Waterthrush</b> (I mean I could ID it instead of seeing it and not
knowing what it was).&nbsp; I feasted on <b>Yellow Warbler, Oven Birds,
Hermit Thrush, Swainson Thrushs, Common Yellow Throat, Pine Warbler,
Catbird, Swamp Sparrow</b>, and many more regulars - all in a beautiful
park setting with picnic tables and bathrooms.&nbsp; The best birding was
from the grassy areas looking at the trees and habitats from a nice
distance.&nbsp; These 10x Pentax were worth every penny.<br>
As I completed my circumnavigation of the lake and bordered HW 96 on
the north side of the lake, the birding continued to be great with <b>B.
show put on by a <b>Great White Egret</b> as it pummeled a large
bullhead into defenseless submission, rinsed it gingerly and mindfully
scarfed it down.&nbsp; Delightful Coup de Gras.<br>
Thomas Maiello<br>
Spring Lake Park<br>

--------------080602020104050409060807--