[mou] Sucker Lake & Cedar Bridge

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Sun, 14 May 2006 19:35:01 -0500

--------------070409070504000608040507

Spent the day birding Sucker Lake (SE corner of HW 96 and Rice St.) and
Cedar Bridge.  Noticed that after every rain event the birds came out of
nowhere for about an hour.  Found a nifty little trail through the woods
along the shore of Sucker Lake that starts at the parking lot by the
"round-about".  It comes out back on the paved trail.  Provided a good
variety of habitats and related birds.  First time I ever got to watch
an Oven Bird call!  Amazing.  Looked like a Wilson's Warbler
convention.  They were everywhere but in relatively small numbers.
Regular cast with Common Yellowthroats most abundant.  Seemed like the
birds were hold up in calmer areas out of the wind but near the water.

Cedar was rewarding.  Met up with some other birders to find the
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher nest near the top of a tree just NW of the
junction of the trail leading west from the parking lot and the trail to
the observation deck.  It is an itty bitty thing and the gnatcatchers
hang out nearby.  The nest is in a fork in the tree and looks made up of
spider webs and soggy feathers.  Well camouflaged.  We also got to watch
a Great Crested Flycatcher hopping branch to branch, calling and
feeding.  We saw it just past the new wooden boardwalk bridge they are
making about 50 yards west of the observation deck trail.  Also saw a
Northern Waterthrush, several Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats,
Yellow-Headed Blackbirds, Redstart, Wilson's Warbler, Rose-Breasted
Grosbeak, and several others.  The woodpiles in the parking lot are
yielding the sparrows - White-throated, White-Crowned, Lincoln's,
Chipping and even a House, or should I say English, Sparrow.  (Am I
allowed to mention "that" bird on this server?)

Overall, a long but great day.  (If the warblers don't start waving in,
I may have to get back to work.  My May sabbaticals are designed to feed
my warbler addiction.)

(Oh, and I am pretty much enrolled in the binocular bras.  I guess I
just had to try one out.  Thanks)

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park

--------------070409070504000608040507

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Spent the day birding Sucker Lake (SE corner of HW 96 and Rice St.) and
Cedar Bridge.&nbsp; Noticed that after every rain event the birds came out
of nowhere for about an hour.&nbsp; Found a nifty little trail through the
woods along the shore of Sucker Lake that starts at the parking lot by
the "round-about".&nbsp; It comes out back on the paved trail.&nbsp; Provided a
good variety of habitats and related birds.&nbsp; First time I ever got to
Warbler</b> convention.&nbsp; They were everywhere but in relatively small
numbers.&nbsp; Regular cast with <b>Common Yellowthroat</b>s most
abundant.&nbsp; Seemed like the birds were hold up in calmer areas out of
the wind but near the water.<br>
Cedar was rewarding.&nbsp; Met up with some other birders to find the <b>Blue-Gray
Gnatcatcher</b> nest near the top of a tree just NW of the junction of
the trail leading west from the parking lot and the trail to the
observation deck.&nbsp; It is an itty bitty thing and the gnatcatchers hang
out nearby.&nbsp; The nest is in a fork in the tree and looks made up of
spider webs and soggy feathers.&nbsp; Well camouflaged.&nbsp; We also got to
watch a <b>Great Crested Flycatcher</b> hopping branch to branch,
calling and feeding.&nbsp; We saw it just past the new wooden boardwalk
bridge they are making about 50 yards west of the observation deck
and several others.&nbsp; The woodpiles in the parking lot are yielding the
Sparrow.&nbsp; (Am I allowed to mention "that" bird on this server?)<br>
Overall, a long but great day.&nbsp; (If the warblers don't start waving in,
I may have to get back to work.&nbsp; My May sabbaticals are designed to
feed my warbler addiction.)<br>
(Oh, and I am pretty much enrolled in the binocular bras.&nbsp; I guess I
just had to try one out.&nbsp; Thanks)<br>
Thomas Maiello<br>
Spring Lake Park<br>

--------------070409070504000608040507--