[mou] Birds of NA access fun

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Thu, 18 May 2006 11:01:18 -0500

I want to share with you how to gain access to the wonderful Birds of
North America Online Database (or at least as far as I have gotten)
without suffering the slings and arrows that I have over the last
month.  Bottom Line - make sure you go to a Minneapolis Public Library
to get the appropriate access numbers.

I live in Anoka County and was (I am now) not very familiar with how the
metro area library system works.  I went to the library in Brooklyn
Center to get a library card so I could access the database (Oops - the
Brooklyn Center Library is a Hennepin County Library - not a Mpls
library!).  They gave me a temporary MELSA card but told me that they
couldn't issue me a library card because I live in Anoka County.  They
said I could use the temporary card to access the database until I got
my card - then I would get a library card number over the internet and
then a formal Anoka County Library card in the mail.

I got home and could not access the database with the MELSA temporary
card.  I waited and got the email with my library card number.  I still
couldn't access the database.  I waited and got my formal card in the
mail.  I still couldn't access the database.  I made many phone calls to
Hennepin County and Anoka County libraries and got various degrees of
help and suggestions on how to go about gaining access.  None worked.  I
finally got hold of a Minneapolis Library.  (A big problem was that I
didn't understand that only specific libraries were Mpls and that they
did not communicate or link their library card information from any
other libraries except Mpls..)

Bottom line- I now have to go to a Mpls library with picture ID and my
Anoka library card to get something so that I can get access to the
Birds of North America Online database.  They said it would be only a
minute and it would be easy.  I have faith that by day's end I will have
access to it.  (I also have faith that I will see a Chestnut-sided
Warbler today.)  If you don't hear back from me on this assume one of
the following: 1) Everything worked out and I got access; 2) Something
happened and I never made it to the library and had to suddenly leave
Minnesota; 3) Aliens got me; 4) The food at the vegetarian restaurant I
am going to before I go to the library was ill prepared and my
constitution too weak to handle it; or 5) All of the above.  Please send
your answer on a brand new pair of very expensive binoculars and a new
field book to me in care of the Hennepin County Library System.  Answers
submitted after 10:50 a.m. on May 18, 2006 will not be accepted.
Winners will get to hear me squeal with joy as I peruse the BofNA
database online.

Bottom Line - make sure you go to a Minneapolis Public Library to get
the appropriate access numbers to access the Birds of North America
Online Database.

Thank you for playing our game and I hope this saves anyone from a
similar ordeal.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park
Anoka County Library System participant and hopefully soon to be Mpls
library participant