[mou] Clay Co Yellow Rail, ST Sparrow

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Tue, 30 May 2006 00:19:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

Thought it would be a great evening to listen for marsh birds.  At the
junction of Clay CR 27 and 140th, I heard a single sharp-tailed sparrow
vocalizing.  It began at 10:30 p.m. and was still going when I left the
area at 11:00.  I drove north a ways on CR 27, and stopped at another
likely location.  As soon as I shut the car off, I heard the distinct 2:3
"click click, click click click" of a yellow rail.  Talk about
serendipity!  I really wasn't exactly sure where I was as it was quite
dark, and there was the rail!  It was exactly 0.6 miles south of the
junction of CR 27 and CR 34, on the west side of the road.  I measured out
the location with the car odometer after I listened to the rail for about
15 minutes.

Also seen/heard:  Short-eared owl, American bittern, sora, Le Conte's
sparrow.

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay