[mou] where are the orioles?

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Wed, 31 May 2006 12:41:32 -0500

Two messages arrived here this morning. A woman from Minneapolis wrote
me by email to see if I could offer any insight into a lack of
Baltimore Orioles in her neighborhood this spring. In years past, she
said, she had fed orioles as many as 50 pounds of grape jelly. This
year, two orioles total and none on some days. I cannot tell her why.

The second message arrived in the mail, a letter from the American
Birding Association asking for help with its Birders' Exchange Program
(BE). BE collects used binoculars, scopes, birding books, and cash to
send to conservationists in Latin America. This is where many of our
nesting species winter. What happens to them there is as important as
what happens here. The BE program puts necessary equipment into the
hands of people who are working to preserve "our" birds. This
16-year-old program is one devoted to immediate action. It makes a
difference now.

Perhaps the lack of orioles in backyards connects with study of birds
in Latin America.

Donations to BE can be sent to Birders' Exchange, 4945 N. 30th St.,
Colorado Springs CO 80919, For information, call 800-850-2473 or send
email to bex@aba.org. The web site is at americanbirding.com.

Jim Williams
Wayzata, Minnesota