[mou] Duluth Update, Monday

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:08:31 +0000

John Hockema and I cruised up north, and were able to relocate the following
goodies:

ALL 3 SCOTERS:
White-winged (flock of 9) and Black - 33rd St (bayside of Park Point).
Surf - Rowing club - bayside

2 HARLEQUIN DUCKS(female/immature):
Amazing looks - From Canal Park, go over lift bridge and park ASAP.  Find
your way to the south breakwall, and follow it out into the lake.  The birds
were hanging tight against the breakwall on the right side.  The birds were
15 feet down from the elevated breakwall, and maybe 15 feet out.  We could
see them several feet underwater before they would resurface after a dive.
We could see them defecate underwater (sorry, I think that's cool).  We
could watch them actively preen each feather.

GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL (1st winter):
Seen from WI Point on the inner MN breakwall.  Observed around 3:15, then
3:30 it flew into WI, towards Allouez Bay.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN

Microsoft Office Live