[mou] Slaty-backed Gull at Superior, WI

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:03:36 -0600

For those considering looking for this bird, here is some important
information posted to the Wisconsin listserve:

Subject: Slaty-backed Gull info
From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts AT core.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:57:15 -0600

Robbye Johnson called me late this afternoon about her and Larry Semo
finding the adult Slaty-backed Gull (winter plumage) at the dump by
Wisconsin Pt.  As Mark has already indicated it is an adult and they
got photos of it.  Seen about 1:45 it disappeared and they could not
relocate it for some time.  When they eventually returned to the dump
it had returned but only for a brief period of time.  All the key id
points were seen clearly.  This is only the 2nd record for the state.

If you are going up to try for the bird Robbye asked that you keep
several things in mind.  The dump is closed to the public.  Do not
try to climb the fence or enter any other way.  The dump, when open
for garbage, can be very busy.  Do not park so you make it difficult
for the trucks to enter and leave.  Also remember that gun deer
hunting season starts on Saturday.  The dump and Wis Pt are in the
city so deer cannot be hunted (gun) here.  However everything to the
east and south is county and is open for hunting.  This includes the
bluff.  If you decide to look for the bird from the bluff it is
probably best to bird only from your vehicle, or possibly???? stand
right next to it????  Be careful and use common sense.

And obviously good luck.  Post your success or (hopefully not) failure.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI