[mou] Goldfinch feeding young

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:32:17 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C6EEDC.C4465FC0

This is the normal time of year to see young goldfinches.  Our feeders =
have just recently started to go down faster as the seed consumption has =
risen.

Historically American goldfinches nest in the last summer.  The timing =
is the result of their natural foods becoming more available in the =
fall.  This would include thistles and other weeds that mature =
(producing the seeds) in the fall.  These plants tend to dry out this =
time of year, when they quit growing.  The seed then becomes something =
that the birds like.

 As the population increases in the coming few weeks our purchased =
thistle (not a true thistle seed, but a excellent substitute) =
consumption will increase by 10 fold or more as the number of birds =
grows at as amazing number.  Currently we probably have about 10 =
goldfinches around at the highest count during the day.  By the end of =
November and into the early part of the winter we will record counts of =
50 or more for several weeks in a row.  When you include the Pine =
Siskins, House Finches (who occasionally seem to eat thistle at that =
time of year), and the every few years invasion of redpolls, our =
consumption of thistle and thistle/sunflower chip mix grows to about 20 =
pounds a week or more if we get snow.  The snow covers up more natural =
vegetation and so more feeder activity.

We have been part of Project Feederwatch since the inception and =
actually have actual counts of at least twice a month going back 17 =
years showing the weekly growth in the number of birds.  Obviously the =
number of birds has increased over the years as more bird families have =
learned about our overly extravagant back yard but the pattern has =
remained unchanged over all those years.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C6EEDC.C4465FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Microsoft Sans Serif"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>This is the normal time of year to see young goldfinches.&nbsp; Our =
feeders=20
have just recently started to go down faster as the seed consumption has =

risen.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Historically American goldfinches nest in the last summer.&nbsp; =
The timing=20
is the result of their natural foods becoming more available in the =
fall.&nbsp;=20
This would include thistles and other weeds that mature (producing the =
seeds) in=20
the fall.&nbsp; These plants tend to dry out this time of year, when =
they quit=20
growing.&nbsp; The seed then becomes something that the birds =
like.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;As the population increases in the coming few weeks our =
purchased=20
thistle (not a true thistle seed, but a excellent =
substitute)&nbsp;consumption=20
will increase by&nbsp;10 fold or more&nbsp;as the number of birds grows =
at as=20
amazing number.&nbsp; Currently we probably have about 10 goldfinches =
around at=20
the highest count during the day.&nbsp; By the end of November and into =
the=20
early part of the winter we will record counts of 50 or more for several =
weeks=20
in a row.&nbsp; When you include the Pine Siskins, House Finches (who=20
occasionally seem to eat thistle at that time of year), and the every =
few years=20
invasion of redpolls, our consumption of thistle and thistle/sunflower =
chip mix=20
grows to about 20 pounds a week or more if we get snow.&nbsp; The snow =
covers up=20
more natural vegetation and so more feeder activity.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have been part of Project Feederwatch since the inception and =
actually=20
have actual counts of at least twice a month going back 17 years showing =
the=20
weekly growth in the number of birds.&nbsp; Obviously the number of =
birds has=20
increased over the years as more bird families have learned about our =
overly=20
extravagant back yard but the pattern has remained unchanged over all =
those=20
years.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis and Barbara Martin<BR><A=20