[mou] Red Crossbills - Hennepin Co

Howard Towle towle@mail.ahc.umn.edu
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:24:59 -0500

This Saturday afternoon around 4:00 PM I was fortunate enough to see a
flock of 7 Red Crossbills at Wirth Park. I was standing on the west
side of the lake where the inlet from the marsh enters the lake when
the birds flew into a deciduous tree right next to the lake. They
stayed in the tree for about 5 minutes, so that I had a nice long look,
before flying west across Wirth Parkway to an area of mature pines and
spruces.

I have birded Wirth Park for over 20 years and always figured I'd run
into crossbills there with all the habitat, but I never figured it
would be on such a nice fall afternoon.

Howard Towle
Golden Valley, MN