[mou] Pomarine Jaeger in Blue Earth

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:07:41 EDT

--part1_c8f.7071af.3266e66d_boundary

I was able to relocate the probable Pomarine Jaeger this afternoon (10/17)
from 2:00-2:45.   The Cty. Rd. to take from Hwy 14 is actually Cty. 86.   Just
north of where it crosses Cty. 3   is the parking area for the Sakatah Trail
(left side).   As Denny mentioned, it's an easy walk east from there. Keep going
past the little bridge.   A good spot to plant your scope is at the bench on
the south side of the trail.   Another birder I saw leaving the area said
she'd seen the jaeger only on the south side of the lake.  That was my experience,
too.   It was at first on the water for 10 minutes or so, then it flew around
the south end of the lake.   I was able to see the double flashing on the
wings.   After a while I lost it against the tree line on the opposite shore.
It was pretty windy and cold so I let myself get distracted with birds closer
to hand.   It was delightful to see so many Fox Sparrows, Rusty Blackbirds, a
few Swainson's Thrushes, Wilson's Snipe and even three Pectoral Sandpipers.
Linda Sparling
Hennepin County

--part1_c8f.7071af.3266e66d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">I was able to relocate the probable Pom=
arine Jaeger this afternoon (10/17) from 2:00-2:45.&nbsp;  The Cty. Rd. to t=
ake from Hwy 14 is actually Cty. 86.&nbsp;  Just north of where it crosses C=
ty. 3&nbsp;  is the parking area for the Sakatah Trail (left side).&nbsp;  A=
s Denny mentioned, it's an easy walk east from there. Keep going past the li=
ttle bridge.&nbsp;  A good spot to plant your scope is at the bench on the s=
outh side of the trail.&nbsp;  Another birder I saw leaving the area said sh=
e'd seen the jaeger only on the south side of the lake.  That was my experie=
nce, too.&nbsp;  It was at first on the water for 10 minutes or so, then it=20=
flew around the south end of the lake.&nbsp;  I was able to see the double f=
lashing on the wings.&nbsp;  After a while I lost it against the tree line o=
n the opposite shore.&nbsp;  It was pretty windy and cold so I let myself ge=
t distracted with birds closer to hand.&nbsp;  It was delightful to see so m=
any Fox Sparrows, Rusty Blackbirds, a few Swainson's Thrushes, Wilson's Snip=
e and even three Pectoral Sandpipers.<BR>
Linda Sparling<BR>
Hennepin County</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANS=
SERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_c8f.7071af.3266e66d_boundary--