[mou] FW: [PABIRDS] Wax Birds

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:27:24 -0500

Another interesting tidbit from our birding friends in the keystone
state.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bird discussion list for Pennsylvania
[mailto:PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG] On Behalf Of Grant Stevenson
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:40 PM
To: PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG
Subject: [PABIRDS] Wax Birds

Just a note: Tree Swallows, Pine Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers=20
have in their digestive systems the ability to digest wax berries like=20
barberries, poison-ivy, dogwood, wild grape, Virginia creeper, and sumac

like Cedar Waxings, Phainopepla, N. Flickers, and Downy Woodpeckers=20
slightly have the capability to do. Tree Swallows' ability to digest=20
recoated beeswax exocarps paralleled that of Yellow-rumped Warblers.=20
This study's results may be a stimilus for winter birders to look in=20
unlikely spots in North America at unlikely times for these birds,=20
depending on the unmonitored crop-size of these plants. For more=20
information, see Place, A.R., and E.W. Stiles (1992, Living off the wax=20
of the land: bayberries and Yellow-rumped Warblers, THE AUK 109(2):=20
334-345; obtain via PDF from SORA on BIRDNET, www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET/.=20
Place inside "keywords" YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER. Also has YRW study from=20
Presque Isle.). I welcome any corrections, from professors or
"amateurs".

Happy birding,

Grant Stevenson
Bethlehem, Leheigh County, PA