[mou] Around the metro

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:40:11 -0500

Possible Golden Eagle at Black Dog:   My son called me last night at 5pm
that he had just found a large dark eagle on a power pole along Black Dog
road.  He concluded that it was a Golden Eagle.  I explained that most of
the all dark eagles found here are usually immature Bald Eagles.  I asked
him if the bird had any white.  He said, "No."  When I was done with my
lecture, he said, "You would think that after all of these years of being
around you, that I would have picked up something."   I haven't had a chance
to sneak away from work and check the eagles hanging around the river there.
While he is not been infected with the bird-watcher infection, he has been a
reliable observer in the past.

Today I saw a flock of about 50 to 100 finches flying by the pines along
Pilot Knob by Acacia Cemetery.  I did not have time to stop and listen to
their flight calls.  I have observed a large flock of House Finches down by
Cedar Bridge a week or two ago.  I wouldn't have reported these finches,
except for the observation of Red Crossbills reported by Bruce Baer recently
in Richfield.

I have been watching a small flock of Wigeons on Quiggley Lake for the last
few days.  At least a couple of the local Wood Ducks have been landing on my
feeder and feasting on  sunflower seeds.

The most interesting wildlife observation of the last couple of weeks, was
the discovery of at least four squashed Opossums found on Highway 5 between
Eden Prairie and Waconia.

The last passerine migrants I have stumbled upon were about ten days ago in
Patrick Egan Park in Eagan, where I found Fox Sparrows, White-throated
Sparrows, a Palm Warbler, and a Yellow-rumpped Warbler.  Short stops around
town in between work have yielded quiet with only the expected non-migratory
regulars.

sweston2@comcast.net