[mou] Red Crossbill Flight Song Assistance

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:49:05 -0500

The bulk of my birding years was spent in southern Wisconsin, so winter
finch exposure was scanty.

Three times this week - once each in St. Louis, Mille Lacs & Sherburne
Counties - I've had small flocks of finches fly over that my ear says
"Redpoll" - the chip, chip, chip call.

Or was it jip - jip - jip?

I wouldn't normally question my ear on this, except flocks of Red Crossbills
are being reported with regularity as much as 70 miles south of my
location - and I've seen few reports on C. Redpolls yet.

So, the question is, how does one distinguish the flight calls of the two
species?  This morning's Internet search was unproductive, and neither the
Peterson nor Feith CD's have Red Crossbills on them.

Thanks!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties