[mou] Beetle tidbits

Howard Weinberg hjw_forest@yahoo.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:16:07 -0800 (PST)

--0-1994553848-1162307767=:42410

In refernce to woodpecker/beetles, here are some tidbits that i recall:

  One common group of bark beetles here belong to the "Ips" genus.  The Pine Engraver (Ips pini) is one of the species.  They are in the Scolytidae family.  They are small (~1/4 inch), dark, and have a hunched-over neck/head.  They are one of the species that carve out those cool looking galleries on the tree just under the bark.  Eggs are laid in those galleries (in brood galleries).  When eggs hatch, the larva move away, creating new tunnels that get bigger as they grow.  There are other species as well, and no shortage of wood boring insects too.  The trees around my house for example, have many round exit holes about the width of a pencil, which i think is pretty indicative of a cerambycid (Long-Horned Beetles), the Pine Sawyer.  They are dark, about an inch long, have very long antenna, and have a white dot on their back at the base of the wings.  Eggs are laid in the bark and the larva bore into the tree.  That's about all i remember from from my college days.

  Howard