[mou] Beetle tidbits

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:54:07 -0600

The Pine Sawyer beetles were the main attraction several years ago at a=20=

Red Pine plantation burn in central Douglas County, Wisconsin.=20
Black-backed Woodpeckers were plentiful for several months after the=20
fire was out, feeding on the larvae of this beetle. Three-toed=20
Woodpeckers also were seen on the burn, although in much smaller=20
numbers. Someone on a WDNR burn crew told me that the beetles often=20
arrived before a fire was out. The woodpeckers also, apparently,=20
followed the smoke. I don't know how else so many of them would have=20
located that particular beetle-infested site.

Perhaps some of you recall a fire some years ago near Thunder Bay that=20=

also attracted large numbers of these two woodpecker species,=20
particularly Black-backed. This fire covered several tens of thousands=20=

of acres. A woodpecker count was taken in one area, that total=20
extrapolated over the entire burn. As I recall, it was estimated that=20
as many as 20,000 Black-backed Woodpeckers could have been present if=20
the saturation of the entire burn matched that of the count area.

An aside: when the larvae hatched and the beetles were chewing their=20
way out of the pines, you could clearly hear the munching sound they=20
made. You also could see small piles of sawdust, from the beetles=20
excavation efforts, at the base of the trees from which they had=20
emerged.

Jim Williams
Wayzata