[mou] Chaska Lake(migration still strong)

John Cyrus cyrus150@hotmail.com
Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:20:17 +0000

I went out to Chaska Lake a couple of times this week with today having the
most activity.  Warbler numbers were decent considering the location.  I am
never sure of the Chaska Lake area when it comes to warblers.  Unfortunately
there were a few warblers that were uncooperative and would not come out of
the vegetation for a clear look.    The warblers I did see were probably
some of the best views I could hope for including a Wilson's inquisitively
studying me from a branch about 5 feet away.

Nashville, Wilson's, Mourning, Magnolia, Chestnut Sided(1 female on
tuesday), and Canada Warblers, Ovenbird, and Northern Waterthrush.
Am. Redstart numbers have dramatically decreased as have Common Yellowthroat
numbers...Still high Song Sparrow numbers, though.  Also seen were
Blue-headed, Warbling, Philadelphia(Saturday), Red-eyed, and Yellow-throated
Vireos.

The biggest surprise of the day for me was a Black-billed Cuckoo perched in
perfect view in a dead tree.  I have never seen one in that area.

Identifiable water birds were lacking.  There were about 20 or so
duck/merganser on the lake in the far distance, but they were too far for me
to see clearly.   A worker with the refuge told me there was a pair of
Hooded Mergansers on the lake.

I also saw a Northern Harrier and a pair of beautiful Bald Eagles, one adult
and one immature.   The Eagles were soaring together at a fairly low level.
I saw an eagle perched in a tree near the lake in late July and am rather
curious whether it nested nearby.

All in all, this has been a great fall.

John