[mou] Birding around the metro

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 01:34:00 -0500

On Saturday I found the first flock of White-throated Sparrows of the fall.

On Labor Day, I had a male Coopers Hawk pursuing a female as they flew into
my yard.  Interesting was the Leopard Frogs were calling in the back yard.
While this spring we had great choruses of Copes Gray Treefrogs and American
Toads, I heard no Leopard Frogs.  But the Leopard Frogs are along the shore
in large numbers.  I don't know why I missed hearing them.

I stopped by 140th Street marsh in Rosemount today at dusk.  The water level
is very low, and quite choked with algae.  There were several Lesser
Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers.

The best bird of the day was the Osprey flying twenty of thirty feet high
near Snelling and CR C in Roseville.

sweston2@comcast.net