[mou] Hawk Ridge: warblers and thrushes (Duluth, Minnesota)

Debbie Waters dlpwaters@charter.net
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:11:44 -0500

The hawks haven't been flying past the ridge much lately (blame the east
winds!), but we're still having a fantastic passerine migration.

We passed the 2,500 mark on Monday for banding passerines, with a lot of
Nashville Warblers, Tennessee Warblers, American Redstarts, Magnolia
Warblers, a few Gray-cheeked Thrushes, and many Veer—wait, what’s the plural
of Veery?—Swainson’s Thrushes, and White-throated Sparrows.  Tim Pearson
banded a Pileated Woodpecker today (yikes), a Black-billed Cuckoo, and an
early Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  We’ve also been seeing a few Blackpoll
Warblers, Bay-breasted Warblers, Connecticut Warblers, Canada Warblers,
Northern Waterthrushes, Song Sparrows, and Lincoln’s Sparrows.  The Mourning
Warblers are winding down now—we see the majority of them in August.

We've got a lot of great public programs coming up, including Friday evening
owl programs starting September 29.  Those details and the rest of the Hawk
Ridge News can be read online at http://www.hawkridge.org/about/news.html.
__________________________________
Debbie Waters, Education Director
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory