[mou] Duluth: no rarities; Erie Pier update

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:38:13 -0500

Despite strong NE winds today, no jaegers or unusual
gulls/terns/shorebirds were seen this morning at Park Point. However,
with these same winds forecast to continue into Saturday, it is quite
possible (even likely) something of note will be reported there this
afternoon or tomorrow. But there were a few birds of note seen in
Duluth:

- Rusty Blackbird (bay side of Park Point at 19th St, first reported
this fall in MN?)
- Peregrine Falcon (adult at 40th Ave W Erie Pier area)
- juv Baird's Sandpipers (Erie Pier, with Semipalmated Plovers)
- American Pipit (Erie Pier, first reported this fall in MN?; also 3
possible fly-by Lapland Longspurs, but too distant for positive ID)
- Connecticut Warbler (adult male also at Erie Pier, near white trailer
at first RR tracks)

By the way, there was a posting or two earlier this year on mou-net
saying that birders were not allowed at the 40th Ave W Erie Pier area,
but this is the second time I have been there this season with no
indication that I shouldn't be there. Birders have been going here for
some 25 years without any problems, and the signs are no different this
year (they should put up new signs if there is a new policy about
access). Also, a worker drove by me today without saying anything.
Accordingly, unless someone has some current and specific information
to the contrary, I see no reason for birders not to visit this area, as
long as they park outside the yellow gate (even if it is open) and stay
away from any work activity that might be going on (nothing was
happening today).  - Kim Eckert