[mou] Birding around the metro

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:15:44 -0500 (CDT)

I fairly regularly get Northern Waterthrushes in my yard during migration.
 Warblers are nocturnal migrants, and when they descend at first light are
often tired and hungry.  If a waterthrush doesn't see suitable water near,
it still must come down.  Imagine all the inappropriate habitat that birds
migrating from the boreal forest to the tropics must cross.  Each one must
even cross, somewhere, Interstate 80 and Interstate 70.  Fortunately,
warblers are fairly adaptable and intelligent in the sense that they can
often figure out survival strategies in unfamiliar habitats.
Unfortunately, the best habitat for not just waterthrushes but many
songbirds is often along waterways, exactly where we have built so many of
our cities.

This is why it's so important to support habitat acquisition for birds.
Even if you never in your life go to a National Wildlife Refuge, many of
the birds you see DO spend time in them--luscious green islands of habitat
in an increasingly developed world.  That's why Duck Stamps are so
important--98 cents of every dollar spent on them goes directly to habitat
acquisition.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson