[mou] Purple sandpiper at Bena

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:15:08 -0500

Not to besiege everyone with redundant reports about this bird, but in case
anyone from some distance is thinking of traveling to see it:

The Purple Sandpiper was still visible today, Friday Sept 29,  at 5:15 p.m..
We had our own personal campground hosts, Kim Risen and Philip Chu, waiting
at water's edge in Denny's Resort to point us to where the bird was quietly
resting.  It seemed very comfortable.  In the half hour we watched, it only
moved about 10 feet in each direction, hunting in the water, feeding snails.

We turned directly into Denny's Resort, parked under the tree and walked to
the edge of the water where it was resting on the small sandbar about 25
feet out in the water.  Crisp, clear markings, a real treat to be able to
study this bird at such close proximity and at such a leisurely pace.

We did get rained on for a short time, but that didn't seem to bother the
sandpiper -- and for me (Sandy) a great #300 for my MN list!

Good luck, good birding.
Sandy and Dan Thimgan
--
Thimgans