[mou] 2007 ABA Conference in Ecuador

Elizabeth Bell elizjbell@comcast.net
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:48:16 -0600

This is posted with permission of the list service administrator.

I am receiving no financial gain from this notice, it is merely to help ABA
and the flow of funds that should accrue to local conservation efforts in
Ecuador.

The 2007 ABA International Conference will be held in Quito, the capital
city of Ecuador, in September. The company handling this conference for the
ABA is Tropical Birding, which is based in Quito. We (Tom and I) have had
excellent experience with this company and can say that attendees should
expect a first class operation. The attendance limit is 230 people.

Elizabeth Bell
on Grey Cloud Island
5868 Pioneer Road South
Saint Paul Park MN 55071-1143
651 459-4150

2007 ABA International Conference, Quito, Ecuador
To quote from the organizers:
"This is the first time this event will take place in South America.
Everyone will stay at the same hotel in Quito (the Dann Carlton, very nice),
while taking day trips each day to various sites in the Andes. The day trips
will be: Antisana (dry high-elevation plateau with condors), Papallacta
(eastern temperate forest and moist paramo with seedsnipe), Yanacocha
(temperate forest west of Quito, think mountain-tanagers), Tandayapa
(out-of-control hummer feeders in the western subtropics), and Milpe (super
diverse Choco foothill forest). Because some of the birding will be on
forest trails, the groups will be small, with about 8 people to each leader.
The guides are world-class, and hopefully all participants will get the
experience of a short birding tour, but with the added bonus of top-notch
speakers each night. There is also a non-birding track, with cultural day
trips for non-birding companions and spouses. Non-birders will visit
Tandayapa and Antisana as well. Could this be the perfect birding
conference?
There is a big conservation connection that we're very excited about too. A
portion of each registration fee will go toward local conservation,
supporting land purchase around the existing Milpe Bird Sanctuary (Mindo
Cloudforest Foundation) and Yanacocha Reserve (Jocotoco Foundation). Both of
these are locations we will visit on day trips during the conference, so
everyone can see the areas they are supporting. Swarovski has made an
up-front commitment of support, and the event should generate over $50,000
in total for local conservation. Awesome!

Here's the website you can check out for more information and registration
forms: http://www.americanbirding.org/mtgs/conferences/2007quito/. The
conference registration is actually going very well, and we've already got
around 140 people."