[mou] More on Sax Zim Bog

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:33:21 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C751AD.7F51FC60

I got an another email from Helen Abramson of Meadowlands and she loves =
all the ideas and will be presenting them to the board very soon.  Helen =
also sent me a website that showcases this new facility for lodging in =
the Meadowlands area.  It's called the Ladyslipper Retreat and the =
website also has photos of the exterior and interior of the facility. =
It's really nice!  This is what Helen Sent me.   I am very excited about =
working with the Meadowlands Development Board and Helen has expressed a =
lot of excitement about my ideas and one of them is organizing a Sax Zim =
Bog Birding Festival which is an idea that I had for a long time.  I am =
working with Helen to get this festival up and going for January or =
February of 2008.  The area has it all for making this a HUGE winter =
event!!  Birds (Great Gray Owls, winter finches, and other boreal =
birds), accommodations, places for meetings (old school building), =
energetic people and much more. =20

Some people suggested to me about restrooms/portable restrooms and to be =
honest in my opinion no matter where you place these restrooms someone =
will vandalize them, making it tough to keep them in running order.  =
Also I am not in favor of turnarounds on these county roads as I see =
this as not a issue for birding.  I am going to present another idea of =
creating a bog boardwalk into the bog. I would like to see if a board =
walk can be erected either off Owl Avenue, McDavitt Road or Admiral Rd.  =
As you know most of the bogs in the Sax Zim Area is surrounded by deep =
muddy ditches and having a board walk where you can go in explore the =
bog would be beneficial to birdwatching and other activities.

Again if you have any suggestions please let me know.=20

Helen emailed this posting about the Lady Slipper Retreat. Which is =
located a mile or so west of Meadowlands on Co. Rd 133. =20

"The house has 12 single beds--four on the main floor and eight in the =
basement.  It has a large workroom on the main floor because it was =
built originally for crafting groups. Quilters, knitters, etc.  However, =
the gals who own The Lady Slipper would welcome birders too.  There is a =
kitchen--renters provide their own food supplies.  Bedding and towels =
are provided.  The two ladies who took on this project would be happy to =
have The Lady Slipper featured on the MOU site."=20

You might check it out at www.ladyslipperretreat.com=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C751AD.7F51FC60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 size=3D2>I got an =
another email=20
from Helen Abramson of Meadowlands and she loves all the ideas and will =
be=20
presenting them to the board very soon.&nbsp; Helen also sent me a =
website that=20
showcases this new facility for lodging in the Meadowlands area.&nbsp; =
It's=20
called the Ladyslipper Retreat and the website also has photos of the =
exterior=20
and interior of the facility. It's really nice!&nbsp; This is what Helen =
Sent=20
me.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am very excited about working with the Meadowlands =
Development=20
Board and Helen has expressed a lot of excitement about my ideas and one =
of them=20
is organizing a Sax Zim Bog Birding Festival which is an idea that I had =
for a=20
long time.&nbsp; I am working with Helen to get this festival up and =
going for=20
January or February of 2008.&nbsp; The area has it all for making this a =
HUGE=20
winter event!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Birds (Great Gray Owls, winter finches, and =
other=20
boreal birds), accommodations, places for meetings (old school =
building),=20
energetic people and much more.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 size=3D2>Some =
people suggested=20
to me about restrooms/portable restrooms and to be honest in my opinion =
no=20
matter where you place these restrooms someone will vandalize them, =
making it=20
tough to keep them in running order.&nbsp; Also I am not in favor of =
turnarounds=20
on these county roads as I see this as not a issue for birding.&nbsp; I=20
am&nbsp;going to present another idea of creating a bog boardwalk into =
the=20
bog.&nbsp;I would like to see if&nbsp;a board walk can be erected either =
off Owl=20
Avenue, McDavitt Road or Admiral Rd. &nbsp;As you know most of the bogs =
in the=20
Sax Zim Area is surrounded by deep muddy ditches and having a board walk =
where=20
you can go in explore the bog would be beneficial to birdwatching and =
other=20
activities.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 size=3D2>Again if =
you have any=20
suggestions please let me know.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 size=3D2>Helen =
emailed=20
this&nbsp;posting about the Lady Slipper Retreat. Which is located a =
mile or so=20
west of Meadowlands on&nbsp;Co. Rd 133.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"The house has 12 single beds--four on =
the main=20
floor and eight in the basement.&nbsp; It has a large workroom on the =
main floor=20
because it was built originally for crafting groups. Quilters, knitters, =

etc.&nbsp; However, the gals who own The Lady Slipper would welcome =
birders=20
too.&nbsp; There is a kitchen--renters provide their own food =
supplies.&nbsp;=20
Bedding and towels are provided.&nbsp; The two ladies who took on this =
project=20
would be happy to have The Lady Slipper featured on the MOU site." =
</FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You might check it out at </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.ladyslipperretreat.com/"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.ladyslipperretreat.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" color=3D#800000 size=3D2>Michael=20
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth, Minnesota<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C751AD.7F51FC60--