[mou] Saturday birding update

Warren wenelson@mlecmn.net
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:12:22 -0600

Today Butch Ukura and I birded around Duluth, Superior, St. Louis County
and Aitkin County.
At the Superior landfill, we found GLAUCOUS GULLS, THAYER'S GULLS AND an
ICELAND GULL. The NORTHERN HAWK OWL was in its spot on county road 4
near the coffee shop. On owl avenue in Sax Zim area we found only GRAY
JAYS and PINE GROSBEAKS. This might be because it was so windy. We came
home by way of Hedbom Forest Road and found a couple from Ohio looking
at a GREAT GRAY OWL. We joined them in watching it. The owl was on a
snag on the north side of the road in the area where the woodpecker
working is most extensive. The couple from Ohio also mentioned that they
had spent about two hours walking through the tamaracks and found a
NORTHERN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER and 5 BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS.
Warren Nelson