[mou] Crosby, Black Dog

linda birds@moosewoods.us
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:49:09 -0600

After viewing the varied thrush, we hiked Crosby Park. On the way, we
observed a red-tail hawk fly to the top of the high-rise near the east
entrance to the park; I don't usually see them perched on tall
buildings. Later, we startled a red-tail from a tree on the north side
of the bigger lake; he glided over the water and disappeared to the south.

On the river path, close to the 35E bridge, we startled two perched bald
eagles, who proceeded to soar downriver. There were 3 more baldies
further upriver, and a rough-legged hawk dodging repeated attacks by a
crow. Still present were large flocks of robins on the north side of the
lake and about 20 mallards sharing the small beaver-created "terrace"
there with a muskrat. There were also several woodpeckers-- downy,
hairy, and red-belly -- as well as housefinches, juncos, chickadees, and
w.b. nuthatches. As an aside, we observed in a red squirrel a behavior
new to us: the squirrel was positioned inside a shallow tree cavity, and
continuously licking the inner surface, which appeared to be lined with
frozen sap (maple sugar anyone?).

We joined Craig Mandel at Black Dog. Among the Canada geese and mallards
were some trumpeter swans, bufflehead, and common mergansers. One eagle
sat on the edge of the ice on the west side, and another soared over the
trees at the east end. Most satisfactory were long looks at the
peregrine falcon pair, sitting on a wooden frame at head-level height,
on the north edge of the west lake. The Marsh Trail was quiet except for
the activity of a number of robins.

Linda Whyte