[mou] Carolina Wren at Golden Valley-trapped in garage!

Diana Doyle diana@managingthewaterway.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:53:33 -0600

--Apple-Mail-1-1032485629
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

After spending a couple of hours looking for the Carolina wren in
Golden Valley (with a couple of other birders who also had no luck
all morning), Laura Coble and I thought we were seeing things when we
noticed a small bird flying up against the glass INSIDE the garage
near the feeders.

We really thought we were nuts when it looked like a Carolina wren
through the opaque glass! But sure enough: we knocked at the house
and the owner opened up the garage. The wren probably was trapped in
there all morning. We found several small cracks along the tops of
window and door frames where it easily could have slipped through
looking for shelter.

In the end, we had great views. It flew out of the garage, landed in
a bush, fed under the old table in the backyard, and then began to
sing beautifully from the top of a deciduous tree.

Also saw one BROWN CREEPER near the feeders.

PEREGRINE FALCON sighted at the 35W-62 intersection, swooping a flock
of pigeons.

No luck on the usually very dependable BARRED OWL at E. 54th St. and
Hwy 55/Minnehaha Park ("Dog Beach"). Instead 30-40 crows were
gathered in the area.

Diana Doyle
Hennepin County

--Apple-Mail-1-1032485629

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">After spending a couple of hours =
looking for the Carolina wren in Golden Valley (with a couple of other =
birders who also had no luck all morning), Laura Coble and I thought we =
were seeing things when we noticed a small bird flying up against the =
glass INSIDE the garage near the feeders.<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>We really thought we were =
nuts when it looked like a Carolina wren through the opaque glass! But =
sure enough: we knocked at the house and the owner opened up the garage. =
The wren probably was trapped in there all morning. We found several =
small cracks along the tops of window and door frames where it easily =
could have slipped through looking for shelter.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>In the end, we had great =
views. It flew out of the garage, landed in a bush, fed under the old =
table in the backyard, and then began to sing beautifully from the top =
of a deciduous tree.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Also saw one BROWN CREEPER =
near the feeders.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>PEREGRINE FALCON sighted at =
the 35W-62 intersection, swooping a flock of pigeons.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>No luck on the usually very =
dependable BARRED OWL at E. 54th St. and Hwy 55/Minnehaha Park ("Dog =
Beach"). Instead 30-40 crows were gathered in the =
area.</DIV><DIV><BR><DIV> <SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV>Diana =
Doyle</DIV><DIV>Hennepin County</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN> =
</DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-1-1032485629--