[mou] Lighter Side of Birding

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:03:04 -0600

Few definitions to consider:

* Pishing - activity to keep a birder occupied until birds can actually be
seen.

* Lens fogging - ocular condensation, inversely proportional to scarcity of
bird.

* Listing - adult version of baseball card/stamp/coin/bottle cap/rock/belly
lint collecting.  Not listing - higher state of being for only the very few
& select among us.

* Year/state/county/yard list - opportunity to make even starlings seem new.

" Lists titled "Birds on a powerline", "Birds seen on golf courses while 20+
over par", "Birds heard while making love" et al - good idea taken perhaps a
bit far.

* List question mark - maybe, maybe, maybe it was something good.
Documentation - such uncertainty shared with knowledgeable strangers -
opportunity to take insecurity to a whole new level.

* Ticks - accumulated while birding, means something very different over the
water.

* Ornithologist - you mean I can make this into a job?

With apologies to anyone unintentionally offended.  I'm sure you have
others.  Good birding and Happy New Year to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties