[mou] DNR seeks input on changes to endangered species listings

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:25:14 -0600

This was just released today.  The Minnesota DNR is looking for public
comments between 1/2 and 3/5 on proposed changes to the state threatened and
endangered species list.  I've looked at the proposed changes for bird
species, available at
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/input/rules/ets/birds.pdf and fortunately, most
of them favor a more protected status.

Species designated for changes in status are:  Northern Goshawk, Boreal Owl,
Henslow's Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Common Nighthawk, Trumpeter Swan,
Black-throated Blue Warbler, Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, Loggerhead
Shrike, Greater Prairie-chicken, and Bell's Vireo.  If anyone reading this
is very knowledgeable on the status of any of these species in Minnesota, it
might be very helpful for the DNR to hear from you.  The online comment form
is at the address listed in the article below.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey

The full story, available at
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1167765055 is below:

Draft changes to state's endangered species list available for comment
(2007-01-02)

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resource (DNR) is seeking help from the
public as it updates the state's list of species that are endangered,
threatened or of special concern.

Under the state's endangered species law, the DNR identifies plants and
animals that are at risk of disappearing from Minnesota, according to DNR
biologist Rich Baker. The list identifying those species was first created
in 1984 and was last revised in 1996.

"The DNR's goal is to maintain an endangered species list that reflects our
scientific knowledge of the conservation status and needs of Minnesota's
plants and animals," Baker said. "We hope folks will provide us with
information that can help us determine if a species is threatened with
extinction in the state. All information submitted to the DNR will be
considered as we proceed to revise the list during 2007."

Over the past 10 years, research and survey work conducted by the DNR and
other resource management agencies, and by university and other researchers,
has provided new information about where rare species are and whether or not
they are vulnerable to extinction.

DNR staff has used this information to develop a set of draft changes to the
list. These changes are now available for the public's review and comment.
Details of the draft changes, along with an online comment form, are
available on the DNR's Web site at
www.dnr.state.mn.us/ets/rulesrevision.html.

Comments on the draft will be accepted between Jan. 2 and March 5. Following
the comment period, the DNR will revise the draft changes, prepare
additional supporting information, and submit the final proposal for
administrative rulemaking. That process will include additional
opportunities for public input.

Printed copies of the draft changes and comment form, and further
information can also be requested from the DNR by calling or writing to:
Rich Baker, Minnesota DNR, 500 Lafayette Rd., Box 25 St. Paul, MN 55155;
phone (651) 259-5073; e-mail rich.baker@dnr.state.mn.us.

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701