[mou] Hedbom Corrections and Comments

Williams, Bob BXWilliams@CBBURNET.COM
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:59:43 -0600

--_3F3B6673-568B-4A66-8188-7622442390B9_

First to address Craig Mandel's comment about driving this road in a small,=
 2-wheel drive after our recent snow.  I would be reluctant to do that as w=
ell.  We had no trouble with our Mazda Tribute with 4-wheel drive.  The big=
gest problem is pulling over far enough to allow other cars to pass.  Some =
parts of the road, especially at the west end are very narrow.
Now for the corrections.  Kim Risen's Black-backed Woodpecker was a little =
further WEST than 2.2 miles.  Also our first sighting of a Great Gray Owl w=
as about 3 miles WEST of where we first stopped and the 2nd was about a hal=
f mile further WEST.  Sorry for the confusion.
Bob Williams, Bloomington

From: Williams, Bob
Sent: Tue 1/2/2007 7:49 PM
To: MOU (mou-net@cbs.umn.edu)
Subject: [mou] Monday and Tuesday up north

 In the spirit of the Martin's posting tonight here is what my wife and I f=
ound or did not find over the last 2 days:
Pine County on Monday:  We were not able to relocate any of the specialty b=
irds mentioned in Mark Alt's summary of the Pine County CBC posted on Dec. =
28th.  We were there at mid morning.
Carlton County on Monday:  2 Red Crssbills at Jay Cooke State Park in mid a=
fternoon
Carlton County on Tuesday:  3 Gray-crowned Rosy Finches at the usual spot a=
rriving at 7:40am
Aitkin County:  Arrived at Hedbom Road just before 10am and drove 2.2 miles=
 from the east gate.
I immediately heard tapping and went into the woods to find a very cooperat=
ive male Three-toed Woodpecker. =20
I went to get my wife and we went back in to witness the bird being chased =
off the tree by a male Black-backed Woodpecker.  In the mean time Kim Risen=
 had arrived from the west with 2 Nebraska birders and had located another =
male Black-backed Woodpecker just a little further east.  This bird was eas=
ily visible from the road.  Kim told us where the Great Gray Owl had been s=
een on the way in and we later saw it(about 3 miles east of where we first =
stopped) as well as a 2nd one a half mile further east.  Redpolls, and both=
 species of crossbill were also seen and/or heard.  Kim later reported seei=
ng a Hoary Redpoll. =20
Kanabec County:  44 Wild Turkeys and an American Kestrel seen from Hwy 65 n=
orth of Co. Rd. 77.
Anoka County:  We almost gave up waiting for the Short-eared Owls at Carlos=
 Avery.  Others did, but at almost 4:30 they appeared and put on a nice sho=
w.  There were no Rough-legged Hawks to chase off, but I counted at least 7=
 birds including one perched with prey.  It was a great finish to a great 2=
 day start to 2007.
Bob Williams, Bloomington   =20

--_3F3B6673-568B-4A66-8188-7622442390B9_

<HTML dir=3Dltr><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText95247 dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>First to address=
 Craig Mandel's comment about driving this road in a small, 2-wheel drive a=
fter our recent snow.&nbsp; I would be reluctant to do that as well.&nbsp; =
We had no trouble with our Mazda Tribute with 4-wheel drive.&nbsp; The bigg=
est problem is pulling over far enough to allow other cars to pass.&nbsp; S=
ome parts of the road, especially at the west end are very narrow.</FONT></=

<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now for the corrections.&nbsp; K=
im Risen's Black-backed Woodpecker was a little further WEST than 2.2 miles=
.&nbsp; Also our first sighting of a Great Gray Owl was about 3 miles WEST =
of where we first stopped and the 2nd was about a half mile further WEST.&n=
bsp; Sorry for the confusion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bob Williams, Bloomington</FONT>=
</DIV></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>
<HR tabIndex=3D-1>
<FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2><B>From:</B> Williams, Bob<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tue=
 1/2/2007 7:49 PM<BR><B>To:</B> MOU (mou-net@cbs.umn.edu)<BR><B>Subject:</B=
> [mou] Monday and Tuesday up north<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;In the spirit of the=
 Martin's posting tonight here is what my wife and I found or did not find =
over the last 2 days:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pine County on Monday:&nbsp; We were not a=
ble to relocate any of the specialty birds mentioned in Mark Alt's summary =
of the Pine County CBC posted on Dec. 28th.&nbsp; We were there at mid morn=
ing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carlton County on Monday:&nbsp; 2 Red Crss=
bills at Jay Cooke State Park in mid afternoon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carlton County on Tuesday:&nbsp;&nbsp;3 Gr=
ay-crowned Rosy&nbsp;Finches at the usual spot arriving at 7:40am</FONT></D=

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Aitkin County:&nbsp; Arrived at Hedbom Roa=
d just before 10am and drove&nbsp;2.2 miles from the east gate.</FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I immediately heard tapping and went into =
the woods to find a very cooperative male Three-toed Woodpecker.&nbsp;&nbsp=
;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I went to get my wife and we went back in =
to witness the bird being chased off the tree by a male Black-backed Woodpe=
cker.&nbsp; In the mean time Kim Risen had arrived from the west with 2 Neb=
raska birders and had&nbsp;located another male Black-backed Woodpecker jus=
t a little&nbsp;further east.&nbsp; This bird was easily visible from the r=
oad.&nbsp; Kim told us where the Great Gray Owl had been seen on the way in=
 and we later saw it(about&nbsp;3 miles east of where we first stopped) as =
well as a 2nd one a half mile further east.&nbsp; Redpolls, and both specie=
s of crossbill were also seen and/or heard.&nbsp; Kim later reported seeing=
 a Hoary Redpoll.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Kanabec County:&nbsp; 44 Wild Turkeys&nbsp=
;and an American Kestrel seen from Hwy 65 north of Co. Rd. 77.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anoka County:&nbsp; We almost gave up wait=
ing for the Short-eared Owls at Carlos Avery.&nbsp; Others did, but at almo=
st 4:30 they appeared and put on a nice show.&nbsp; There were no Rough-leg=
ged Hawks to chase off, but I counted&nbsp;at least 7 birds including one&n=
bsp;perched with prey.&nbsp; It was a great finish to a great 2 day start t=
o 2007.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bob Williams, Bloomington&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
; </FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--_3F3B6673-568B-4A66-8188-7622442390B9_--