[mou] Aitkin County Birding

Cindy Risen cbutler@lcp2.net
Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:21:18 -0600

Greetings from Snowy NE Aitkin County!

Having read, and agreed, with the Martin's post, I thought I better post an
update on the birds in Aitkin County.

On January 1st, Cindy, Warren Nelson and I made a circuit through northern
Aitkin County starting along CR 1, going north to CR 3, west five miles to
the woodpecker locations previously described and then east through
Palisade to the Hedbom Forest Road.

On January 2nd I was guiding clients from Nebraska and, starting along the
Hedbom Forest Road, we did basically the same route. Both days were very
productive.

Birds continue to be plentiful and fun to see.

Great Gray Owls were found on the 1st along the Hedbom Forest Road about
1.2 miles west of the Aitkin/St. Louis County line. On the 2nd we found
them on the Hedbom Forest Road about 5.1 miles west of the county line and
on County Road 18. The CR 18 bird was extremely cooperative and we got to
watch it plunge, catch and, after disgorging a pellet, eat a vole.

Black-backed Woodpeckers were NOT found along the previously described CR 1
location on either day. We did find them at the two previously described
locations about 5 miles west of CR 1 on CR 3. On the 2nd we had at least
two males and two females. Males were also seen at the 'woodpecker area'
along the east end of the Hedbom Forest Road. One put on quite a drumming
show. The males are also quite aggressive. We watched one chase both
Black-backed and American Three-toed Woodpeckers off of their perches. We
also had a male along CR 18, a new location for us this winter.

American Three-toed Woodpeckers were NOT found along the previously
described CR 1 location on either day. We did find them at previously
described location about 5 miles west of CR 1 on CR 3. On the 2nd we had at
least two males and one female. A male and female were also seen at the
'woodpecker area' along the east end of the Hedbom Forest Road.

White-winged Crossbills were found in good numbers along the eastern half
of the Hedbom Forest Road on the 2nd. One group of about 15 stayed to be
photographed and enjoyed in the scope. We also encountered them on CR 36
and CR 18.

Red Crossbills were found in smaller numbers along the Hedbom Forest Road
on the 2nd--strictly fly-overs--and perched for extended study along CR 1.

Common Redpolls were, well, common. Large flocks are still easily found
along the Hedbom Forest Road in areas of thick alders. More than 100 birds
were found each day.

Hoary Redpolls were found on both the 1st and the 2nd along the Hedbom
Forest Road in flocks of Common Redpolls.

Pine Grosbeaks were found both days. On the 1st we had good numbers with
one flock along CR 1 holding more than 30 birds. We encountered singles or
small groups along the Hedbom Forest Road, CR 18 and CR 1.

Evening Grosbeaks were found ONLY at our feeders. We haven't found them in
the woods anywhere.

Pine Siskins continue to be seen in large numbers. Almost every flock of
redpolls has siskins mixed in with them. We found six or seven flocks
holding only siskins along the Hedbom Forest Road, CR 1 and CR 18.

Snow Buntings were found on the 2nd along CR 3 and CR 5. One flock numbered
15 birds.

Northern Shrikes are around in good numbers. We found them easily both
days, with a high of five birds on the 2nd. Best areas were the Hedbom
Forest Road, CR 1 and CR 18.

Rough-legged Hawks were found in good numbers along CR 1, CR 18 and CR 5
north of Palisade. Singles were also seen along the Hedbom Forest Road and
CR 3.

A late and unusual at this location/season was an adult Red-tailed Hawk
seen along the Hedbom Forest Road.

Cindy and I have found at least five more locations that show obvious signs
of 'three-toed' woodpecker workings. We'll be checking them in the upcoming
weeks, I hope some of them pan out.

A couple of words about the Hedbom Forest Road. As stated in my earlier
emails, this road is NOT maintained during the winter months. This part of
Aitkin County received six to eight inches of snow earlier this week that
went down on top of one to two inches of rain. As you might expect, it's
beautiful to look at but extremely hazardous driving. If you do NOT have a
four-wheel drive or high-clearance vehicle you should consider the Hedbom
Forest Road closed until further notice. Four-wheel drive isn't needed for
driving on the road, but you might find it impossible to turn around with
out it! The unplowed road has a well packed two-wheel track, but if your
vehicle doesn't have sufficient clearance you'll be bottoming out the
entire drive.

The woodpeckers at the CR 3 location, where there was less than two inches
of snow, are a far better area to search. It's also MUCH easier walking in
the woods without all that snow.

I'll be posting photos of the Hedbom Forest Road to our
website  www.naturescapenews.com  this afternoon along with a few new bird
photos. You can also find an updated and easily printable map of the Hedbom
Forest Road and copies of the Hedbom Forest Road account from Aitkin
County, Naturally!, our soon to be released book on the birding areas of
Aitkin County and Mille Lacs Lake.

Kim Risen
Tamarack, Aitkin County
www.naturescapenews.com