[mou] Hedbom Forest Road plowed

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:35:12 -0600

The Hedbom Forest Road is now plowed and easily passable, at least
coming in from the east or St Louis Co side. I was there yesterday, Jan
3, and there were no problems with driving or turning around as far as
I went, which was 7 miles west of the yellow gate & state forest road
sign. (I would assume the road is plowed its entire length west to
Aitkin Co Rd 65.) It was plowed on Jan 2, according to a Wisconsin
birder I met who was also there on Tuesday when a pickup truck with
attached plow went through. Whether the truck was hired by a logging
operation, the county, or the state forest is not known, and it's
unknown if the plowing will continue all season.

Yesterday was the first time I had to check this area, and I must say I
was disappointed. Given the number of postings about this road
recently, birders might be under the impression that this area is
something special. Actually, the habitat along the portion of the road
I drove is typical of much of NE Minnesota, with most of it ordinary
mixed boreal forest, with more of it deciduous than coniferous in
nature. (While I did not drive the entire road, I feel safe in assuming
from looking at the county map that the habitat farther west along the
road is no better.) The only interesting part of the 7 miles I traveled
is the mile-long stretch of solid tamarack bog where the woodpecker
sightings have been, 2-3 miles west of the gate, but there dozens
(hundreds?) of places with similar and extensive stands of tamaracks
nearby in Aitkin and St. Louis Co's.

Yes, there have been some interesting birds seen there, especially the
Great Grays and the two woodpeckers, but note that all of them have
been found recently elsewhere in these counties. (Great Grays have also
been reported in at least two other areas, and Am Three-toed and
Black-backed woodpeckers are being reported at several places.) So,
while the Hedbom Forest Road is currently worth a visit, by itself it
may not be worth driving too far out of your way for, don't expect to
find an extraordinary or unique area, and driving its entire length
would probably not be worthwhile if you're short of time.

- Kim Eckert