[mou] Afton SP Solitaire not seen

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 12:42:24 EST

--part1_393.72a5d69a.32ce9680_boundary

     On January 3rd I failed to relocate the Townsend's Solitaire found by
Diana Doyle on the 1st.   Her directions were actually quite good, given the
fact that several paths pop up that are not on the maps generously posted about
the park.   I was in the area of the sighting from 1:00 to about 2:15, played a
tape of the bird and saw/heard nothing but a male Northern Cardinal who
seemed curious.
If anyone else finds the bird, please repost.
     For anyone attempting to get into the area, at the swimming beach you'll
be offered a choice of following the road marked 'Camping', or a trail that
goes off to your left as you're reading the map (it's the trail that stretches
behind a bench and is marked 'Wrong Way').   I recommend the latter trail,
since cross-country skiing doesn't seem yet to be a viable option, eliminating
the need to heed the 'wrong way' sign.  It's a gentler rise and you won't need
to make any turns to get to the line of cedars and juniper bushes -- it takes
you right to it.   I, of course, took the harder road, thinking it was the more
direct route.   If you're into hiking and are in good, no great, shape, go
ahead.   You'll pass through the backpack campground and will eventually come to
a small shelter.   The trail that goes east and west just short of the
shelter is the trail you'll take to the west.
     Happy new birding year,
Linda Sparling
Hennepin County

--part1_393.72a5d69a.32ce9680_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On January 3rd=
 I failed to relocate the Townsend's Solitaire found by Diana Doyle on the 1=
st.&nbsp;  Her directions were actually quite good, given the fact that seve=
ral paths pop up that are not on the maps generously posted about the park.&=
nbsp;  I was in the area of the sighting from 1:00 to about 2:15, played a t=
ape of the bird and saw/heard nothing but a male Northern Cardinal who seeme=
d curious.<BR>
If anyone else finds the bird, please repost.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For anyone attempting to get into the area, at the=20=
swimming beach you'll be offered a choice of following the road marked 'Camp=
ing', or a trail that goes off to your left as you're reading the map (it's=20=
the trail that stretches behind a bench and is marked 'Wrong Way').&nbsp;  I=
 recommend the latter trail, since cross-country skiing doesn't seem yet to=20=
be a viable option, eliminating the need to heed the 'wrong way' sign.  It's=
 a gentler rise and you won't need to make any turns to get to the line of c=
edars and juniper bushes -- it takes you right to it.&nbsp;  I, of course, t=
ook the harder road, thinking it was the more direct route.&nbsp;  If you're=
 into hiking and are in good, no great, shape, go ahead.&nbsp;  You'll pass=20=
through the backpack campground and will eventually come to a small shelter.=
&nbsp;  The trail that goes east and west just short of the shelter is the t=
rail you'll take to the west.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Happy new birding year,<BR>
Linda Sparling<BR>
Hennepin County</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANS=
SERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_393.72a5d69a.32ce9680_boundary--