[mou] Hedbom Forest Road plowed

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:32:06 -0600

Hello:

"Yesterday was the first time I had to check this area, and I must say I
was disappointed. Given the number of postings about this road
 recently, birders might be under the impression that this area is
 something special"

In my opinion as a active bird guide in northeast Minnesota this area is
SPECIAL because it is so far the most consistent place in Minnesota to find
Great Gray Owls!  The bog maybe roughly only 3 miles long but again it's
very consistent for viewing American Three-toed Woodpeckers and Black-backed
Woodpeckers.  Also this area has a consistent flock of Common Redpolls where
birders are finding Hoary Redpolls.  On top of that, White-winged Crossbills
and Red Crossbills are being seen fairly regular along the Hedbom Logging
Road.

No one has ever mentioned on this listserv that this is a some sort of
fantastic spot but like Kim Risen said "This bog might replace the bogs in
Sax Zim"  In Sax Zim,  McDavitt Road Bog and the the Owl Avenue Bog are
scheduled to be logged.  So having a nice tamarack bog that is roughly about
15 miles away from Sax Zim Bog gives birders anther place to search for some
of Minnesota winter specialties and summer specialties.  I also recall that
Kim Risen specifically mentioned in his postings that the best place to bird
is the very last section near the St. Louis and Aitkin County line.  No one
ever mentioned that the entire road was bog habitat and also I am very
thankful to Kim Risen for sharing this road to us and I am sure all the
birders that made the trip up to the Hedbom Logging Trail Bog were very
happy to view the Great Gray Owls, Three-toed and Black-backed Woodpeckers
plus the winter finches.

On another note, the only sighting of a Great Gray Owl in Sax Zim Bog was
during the Christmas Bird Count and yes I agree with Kim Eckert there are
many other places to search for Three-toed and Black-backed Woodpeckers in
St. Louis Co or Aitkin County BUT  the Hedbom Logging Trail Road  is the
ONLY road in Minnesota where you have a damn good chance of seeing the owls,
woodpeckers and winter finches all within a 3 mile area! Again that is
pretty special to me!

I also want to say I been getting several emails from folks outside and
inside Minnesota thanking me for creating a map to this new location.( I am
sure Kim Risen is getting thank you emails as well)  Dennis Martin called
upon us birders to share bird sightings and share bird information on this
listserv.  What incentive would it be now to anyone coming on to this
listserv announcing a new place to see birds only having one of Minnesota
leading birders down playing it and basically saying "its not so special".

In my opinion the Hedbom Logging Trail Bog is a GREAT place this winter to
view Great Gray Owls and other winter specialties all within close proximity
of each other.  This bog also has GREAT potential for Connecticut Warblers,
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, Golden-winged Warblers and other bog
specialties.  I would not be surprised that Great Gray Owls nest near this
bog as well.  Sax Zim Bog is still may favorite place in the winter to
birdwatch but when the day comes when the independent loggers come to log
out McDavitt Rd or Owl Avenue, it's damn good feeling to know there is
another bog not far away for birders to enjoy!

Thanks Kim Risen for sharing this location to all of us on this listserv
because as a guide who has several parties coming up this winter it sure
feels good knowing there is a reliable spot for Great Gray Owls and other
winter specialties not far from Duluth to show birders.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/