[mou] Hedbom Forest Road plowed

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:43:05 -0600

I've visited the road myself--didn't post as my trip wasn't nearly as
successful as others...one Black-backed and a few WW Crossbills--I think
what makes the road a great birding spot is the accessibility rather than
the habitat or the bird selection.  Bogs similar to the bog on Hedbom with
similar birds are found throughout the northern counties, especially western
Koochiching (where myself and others will be this weekend....we'll let you
know how we do!), but very few offer the "relative" closeness to Duluth and
the Twin Cities as well as a decent road cutting through, 100% public land,
and wide enough lanes and few enough people to make stopping easy.

If you're willing to drive farther, do a little more research, deal with
uncertainties regarding traffic and ownership, and maybe walk a trail or
two, you can have the fun and satisfaction of discovering all of these birds
in "your own" spot.  However, if you're like many (especially out of staters
like Mike is guiding) and what little time you have to bird up north might
be your one shot at seeing these great birds, Hedbom seems to be a great
option.  Of course, if you live fairly close like me, you can have your cake
and eat it too by trying both!

(By the way, I was talking with 2 tree disease experts today about the larch
beetle infestations and the large number of Black-backed/Three-toed
Woodpecker sightings this year.  They told me that with these warm winters,
larch beetle infestations and tamarack stand mortality has been, and could
continue to be, excessively high.  This could mean birds are moving down for
this huge food source and more tamarack stands in Minnesota could become
favorable for overwintering and breeding woodpeckers.  (I believe I've heard
up to 6,000 beetles have been found in a single tree!)  Also, we looked at
some maps and saw some pretty extensive recent tamarack mortality in eastern
Ottertail County, of all places.  It's possible that some of the mortality
could have been caused by flooding or other reasons, but if it is from larch
beetles, that county could be worth keeping an eye on.)

Just welcomed this chance to toss in my opinion on Hedbom.  Good birding!
Shawn Conrad
Bovey