[mou] MSP Airport SNOWY OWL

Joel Claus jclaus13@msn.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:30:16 -0600

After spending the day chasing stake out birds around southern Minnesota I
found myself driving by the airport at dusk and on a whim decided to drive
24th and Cargo Rds on the chance the cold weather had brought down an owl.
At the very end of Cargo Rd where it ends in a turnaround I found a SNOWY
OWL perched on the corner of a small brown building at the edge of the
runway at 5:20 PM.  The building is to your left as you enter the turnaround
area.

I was able to watch it for about five minutes through my scope before it
flew to the north.  It was heavily barred below so I assume it is a first
winter bird.

Also today, the Green-tailed Towhee was at the feeder in Mountain Lake at
9:40 AM this morning.  There were quite a few Horned Larks along Hwy 60 as
well as one flock of Lapland Longspurs near St James.  Both the Slaty-backed
gull and Long-tailed duck were present at Point Douglas between 2 and 2:45
PM.  I also refound the Townsend's Solitaire at the previously posted
location in Afton State Park at 3:45 PM.

Joel Claus
Eden Prairie