[mou] Carolina Wren seen again

Bill Bruins wbruins@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:54:50 -0600

This morning I was able to compare the size, bill shape and
coloration of a Carolina Wren and a Brown Creeper while the wren
wolfed down meal worms and the creeper picked its way over the bark
of the oak tree.

At a glance, one could be confused for the other but if the eye
lingers, they are easily identified. Of course, behavior is the first
obvious difference even though bill shape is similar. The white
eye-stripe of the wren, the rufous color of the back and buff of the
breast quickly make it obvious this is not a creeper, even though the
bird is clinging to the side of the oak.

It was fun watching the wren move quickly from feeder to feeder, as
it usually does, trying suet, sunflower chips, peanuts, peanut
butter, and what ever else we have out in our feeders. We have some
chopped pecans out for the wren but it has to compete with chickadees for them.

  Bill

O. William (Bill) Bruins
1538 11th Avenue NE
Rochester, MN 55906-4213
wbruins@earthlink.net
507-281-1607 - home
507-261-6837 - cell (not always turned on)