[mou] NE Minnesota - January 16, 2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan@msn.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 03:19:13 -0600

January 16, 2007

Did a day trip up to check out some of the previously reported birds in NE
Minnesota with some members of MRVAC.  We started out looking for and
observing the three Gray-crowned Rosey-finches in Cloquet.  Then we headed
over to the Hedbom road, where we had good luck in relocating both of the
Woodpeckers that we searched for there.  Here are some notes on our
sightings for the day:

Hedbom Road Sightings:
American Three-toed Woodpecker - Female - 12:15 - 12:30 pm - On the South
side of the road, 2.6 miles West of the East gate.
Black-backed Woodpecker - Female - 11:00 - 11:50 am - On the North side of
the road, 2.4 miles West of the East gate.
                        - Male - 12:15 - 12:30 pm - On the South side of the
road, 2.6 miles West of the East gate.
Northern Shrike - 10:50 am - .4 miles from the East gate.
White-winged Crossbills - 1:15 pm - A flock of 7 White-winged Crossbills
were observed feeding on White Spruce cones, 6.2 miles West of the East
gate.

Carlton County
Gray-crowned Rosey-finch - 9:20 - 9:40 am  - Lots of great looks at all
three birds at the previously reported location.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan@msn.com